[aprssig] Coast-to-Coast Balloon Flight (non-burst?)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Dec 15 09:04:20 EST 2011

I think nearly all of us would like to know what prevented the
bursting!  This group has been doing balloons a long time, both
up-and-down and floaters and have been (apparently) perfecting their
technique.  They launched two floaters at the same time, K6RPT-11 and
K6RPT-12.  -12 had the type of flight they were used to, although I
think even it exceeded their range expectations..

 From everything I've read, they were forecasting maybe Colorado, maybe
hoping for a trans-continental flight, but certainly (I don't think) not
expecting a trans--atlantic flight.  It was just a latex envelope with a
low fill for low payload and plenty of room for high altitude expansion
without bursting, a floater flight plan.

It was, however, in the end completely AMAZING to watch!
Congratulations to the team, and a big THANKS to those hams that got the
message and switched over to monitor 144.390 so that the balloon could
be tracked to its eventual demise in the Mediterranean.

PS.  There's a series of screenshots of my APRSIS32 instance tracking
the balloon both across the USA as well as across the Azores, Landfall,
and includes a detailed zoom in on the final descent beacons.  You can
see them at http://tinyurl.com/6lq22pu