[aprssig] K6RPT-11 trans ocean balloons...

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 17:42:23 EST 2011

  Back in the late 70's, my wife had an interest in paper making and has a book describing in detail the very fine Japanese paper making methods that was written by an American who didn't want the techniques lost.  In that book it mentions these paper balloons ,so I got a copy of the Smithsonian book.  It has much detail such as maps of the landing sites and I believe it also showed the special launching sites bult on Japan's east coast..
  One of the interesting things was how the sand in the ballast bags was analyzed and the beaches of origin determined.
  Because they were largely kept secret and therefore unknown, they had no effect on morale in the US.
  I don't recall seeing any documentaries here in the US.

Robert C. Mikesh, Japan's World War II Balloon Bomb Attacks on North America, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1973

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

No more comments on the sig.

--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)