[aprssig] Clubs, FRS and Ham Response teams

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 16:15:32 EDT 2011

Steve Noskowicz wrote:

> --- Bob Bruninga wrote:
> > ... I have a stock FRS radio ...on the roof.? I feed
> it 6
> > volts up and bring down speaker audio on a 4 conductor
> phone
> > line ...to my desk about 200' away. ...
> > ... it can only be used with type-approved accessories
> > Bob, WB4APR
>

> Cool idea, but ... Clearing throat with a little
> vigor...    Unless a "standard type approved
> accessory" is a 200' power and speaker extension cable,
> you've stretched the rules beyond recognition by about 200'
> ... (;-)

He only extended the receiving side of the FRS radio which does not require type acceptance.  The type acceptance only applies if he were to attempt to transmit from it.  But, in the same email you quoted he already states that he transmits with an unmodified unit that he carries over to a window.

If type acceptance were required for reception then none of us would be able to use modified radios, scanners, or anything other than a service-specific type-accepted radio to listen to other frequencies, right? :)