[aprssig] Fixing older KPC-3 Duping Digis!

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Aug 31 16:08:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 01:48:27PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:44:02PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <cap at cruzio.com> flavor, containing:
> > Still better, I think, for old digipeater Sysops to just add UIDigi WIDE1-1
> > in the Kantronics version KPC3-3F427265-8.2 TNC as previously recommended.
> > http://www.aprs.org/kpc3/kpc3+82WIDEn.txt
> > In practice, this certainly works well enough.
>
> My bad.  It's the UIDIGI, not MYALIAS that these  KPC-3's in NM use as WIDE1-1.
> The ping-ponging issue, however, is still the problem that shows up, because
> UIDIGI doesn't do dupe checking.

I should also point out that the *real* issue is that not only do we have
these old TNCs that need this UIDIGI hack, but we also have very high
elevation digis that provide redundant, overlapping coverage in the ABQ area.
>From Albuquerque, it is not unusual for 4 digis to hear you direct (typically,
SANDIA, LAMOSC, CAPILA and ELKMTN), and sometimes more (adding RAVEN, CEDRO,
EUREKA and TESQUE) on a good (bad) day.  These digis are all high enough
that they can all hear each other, and without dupe checking the cacophonic
response to a single packet is awe-inspiring.

This is because when APRS first hit NM, there was a very positive response from
folks who had high elevation repeater sites and existing, wasted packet
infrastructure in place.  Suddenly we had a vast network of APRS digis and
a philosophy that "more is better" and "there is no such thing as 'too tall'."
The excessive overlapping coverage is unfortunate, but it is what we have and
is unlikely to be changed.

You should hear it when someone with a SmartBeaconing rig with misconfigured
corner-pegging/mintime settings drives through --- between WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
ping-ponging and transmits every 5-6 seconds (the misconfigured part of
SmartBeaconing --- this is not a smartbeaconing slam, but a misconfiguration
slam), the noise is impressive.

Back in the old RELAY,WIDE days (or worse, the RELAY,WIDE,WIDE,WIDE days),
listening to the channel was very enlightening.  Very few people actually
listen to the channel, and if more did and questioned why they were hearing
what they were hearing, we'd all be better off.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey