[aprssig] Fixing older KPC-3 Duping Digis!

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Wed Aug 31 15:44:02 EDT 2011

Still better, I think, for old digipeater Sysops to just add UIDigi WIDE1-1
in the Kantronics version KPC3-3F427265-8.2 TNC as previously recommended.
http://www.aprs.org/kpc3/kpc3+82WIDEn.txt
In practice, this certainly works well enough.
In California, we build our fixed VHF digi network to support a user's path
of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 (or less) from anywhere.  A digi that won't operate
packets addressed via WIDE1-1 isn't of much use.
73, Cap KE6AFE

Of
> Bob Bruninga
> Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:55 AM
> To: russo at bogodyn.org
> Subject: [aprssig] Fixing older KPC-3 Duping Digis!
>
> > Yes, it would.
> > What format and means do you suggest?
>
> This is the best news since 2004 New-N Paradigm!
>
> * In 2004 we standardized APRS on WIDEn-N (including W1-1,W2-1)
> * In 2005 We standardized Digi localinfo Beacons to include
>   - Digi info format (W2, SSn-n.) (or W3, etc)
>   - Local Freq Objects for Voice, IRLP and Echolink, etc
> * Now, in 2011 we solve the old KPC-3 problem!
>
> Instead of the "W2, SSn-N..." format for the digibeacon, we now suggest
for
> these old KPC-3's to use a new format "W2-2 SSn-N...".  Where the "W2-2"
is
> the Key to mean "Do not use W1-1 in this area.  Use only W2-2 (or W3-3 if
> ok).  If every old KPC-3 with the dupe problem used this standard beacon,
> then we can now educate people that when they see that specific "Wx-X..."
> nomenclature that it means to only use that path because that digi is a
> duping KPC-3. SO basically we are changing the "W2" to a "W2-2" as a
subtle
> but standardized way to convey this info to users (or W3-3 in some areas).
>
> Remember, under the 2005 http://aprs.org/localinfo.html recommendations,
> what comes out of a digi to its immediate users are:
>
> 1) The digi beacon every 10 minutes DIRECT
> 2) The digi beacon every 60 minutes via 2 hops *(see below)
> 3) Local FREQ object(a) every 10m direct
> 4) Local FREQ object(b) every 10m direct
> 5) Local Freq object(c) every 10m direct
>
> Problem is that my guess is fewer than 1 in 3 digis ever even upgraded to
> the 2005 Local-Info initiative (beacons 3,4,5 above).  But this is a good
> time to do all of that.
>
> Would that work?
>
> The goal everywhere is that if your radio has been on for 10 minutes, your
> APRS radio should capture all the local info of value, the DIGI, Voice,
> Echolink and IRLP or other info.
>
> NOTE:  I think there should be two options for the DX beacon (#2 above).
As
> shown, it is for large sparse networks like New Mexico or something where
> you want to see the overall network of digis (few people out there).  But
> for dense areas like back-east, I think making the DX beacon every 30
> minutes is no more total packets but then at least every 30 minutes lets
you
> see the next digi beyond the one you are currently in.
>
> Back east, waiting an hour for that info is too long to wait.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Mexico