[aprssig] Clubs, FRS and Ham Response teams

Dr. John w3ate at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 30 10:03:11 EDT 2011

Good morning Bob,
It's been a long time since we talked on the phone and you started me into
the APRS crave.
Since then, when I was down in Ft. Lauderdale I started the Club Gold Coast
ARC interest in APRS and filled the gap from Boca to North Miami. We built a
digi station 140 ft. on a building in Ft. Lauderdale, and gives great
coverage.
I have now moved Trying to be retired, but that did nit happen. I am now the
Chief of Ecomms for Pocahontas Search & Rescue, and deigning the system for
the entire county which is larger then Road Island and Delaware placed
together.
Now for the issue.
I just bought a TH-D700, but the info I just received is for a 710.
The There are some issues that I just don't understand and need some major
help.
I have a cabin on Droop mountain 3963 ft, great VHF site and for APRS. I',
am also introducing APRS to the new Search and Rescue teams.
There are some menus that I'm not understanding.
If I have a phone number and could call at your convince, or just email the
major questions.
there was issues that when I read the manual and proceeded was different
then what I saw in a email from you.
Hoping all going well , and that the hurricane did not do major damage in
Annapolis, where if I remember is your QTH.
Also, just to add to the FRS, we now plan to issue FRS to all the search
team members. Then a high power handheld to the team leader which he can
communicate back to the Command Center. This now lower the cost of local
comms. A major savings.
We are also addressing the TH-D72 handheld to each team leader as when they
connect back to the Command Communication center we will have an accurate
location, as to each team.

Regards,
Dr. John Gregory, W3ATE/8