[aprssig] Clubs, FRS and Ham Response teams

Eric Lorenz K9LGE k9lge at emlorenz.com
Sun Aug 28 14:37:22 EDT 2011

Charles,

If they're using them strictly as FRS service,  then no license is required.
Only if using the GMRS channels. (I believe).

Eric Lorenz K9LGE
Communications Trailer Coordinator
American Red Cross
of Greater Chicago
Disaster Services Technology
630-430-2421 (cell)
On Aug 28, 2011 1:19 PM, "Charles Doughtie" <n5exy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> YeahBut - - what about the license requirement? They sound like good
Justin Case insurance but you cannot get insurance at the moment of need - -
-

> "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have
to back up his acts with his life."
> Robert A. Heinlein
>

> “I’ll work every day to try to make Washington, D.C. as inconsequential in
your life as I can.”
> Rick Perry
>

> ________________________________

available to our entire school ham radio club.  The idea being to make sure
that all boots-on-the-ground could contact each other and the local campus
EOC during the Hurricane.

> Even the Hams found them very handy for short range contact so that their
HT could remain on the EOC, AREA/RACES and other vital channels, leaving the
FRS channel available for logistics and coordination within the club and on
scene.

> This sure keeps a lot of simplex traffic off of the HAM channels that are
already busy with longer distance traffic.

> The FRS radios are 1 watt UHF with 22 channels, PL, CTCSS and DCS
(including CTCSS Scan!) and rechargeable batteries and charger for $28 a
pair.  We consider them expendible so they are the ones we use in the rain,
over the water, and into the mud.

> Plus the unlicensed newcomers to the club can use them to stay in touch
with our Cadre of communicators ntil they get thir licenses.

> If you are Radioactive, dont overlook these excellent HT's.  PS. I
measured several on a Sig gen and ALL are identical 0.2 uV or so sensitive
as good as any ham radio.