[aprssig] APRS-IS Feed Dropout?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Aug 14 18:30:27 EDT 2011

Negative.  I've got a few read-only instances on the APRS-IS and they
don't get dropped at all.  I can see a few reasons for this to happen,
though.

1) You must read the socket, even if you're not expecting any data from
the APRS-IS.  The servers send out heart-beat messages on all active
connections.

2) If you're not sending a #user xxxxx pass yyyyy (at least a -1), most
servers will eventually disconnect you.  But this is usually far more
quickly than 30 minutes in my experience.

3) If you send the same callsign-SSID to a single server, it will
disconnect the existing connection as soon as a new connection sends in
a matching #user.  This is to prevent a broken program (or user) from
hogging connections on the server from a single "station".  This is by
far the most frequent reason for me to get disconnected when I get
sloppy with my -SSIDs.