[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Greg Dolkas ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 00:37:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> On 4/25/2011 12:32 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>
>> On 4/25/2011 3:08 PM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> [I've had far more message exchanges on 30M meters PSK63 APRS via the
>>> sound card APRS Messenger app (on the mobile PC) in one year, than in all
>>> the decades on two meters combined.]
>>>

>> When you were driving around here on the Space Coast, you would have had
>> more messaging traffic on 2 meters, but I kept missing you!
>>

> Part of that was that I had my hands full driving my 87-year-old mother
> around on a vacation outing!  I just don't play radio when I have others in
> the car with me.
>

>> I try to say "Hello" to every messaging-capable mobile that drives through
>> the area.  An amazing number of D7xx devices send back an "rej" response
>> indicating that their in-box is full.
>>

> Around here (southern California) the in box fills up with bulletins and
> other stuff within an hour due to the volume of APRS traffic.  Practically
> no one bothers to go through the clumsy and distracting  process of deleting
> messages one-by-one on a D700 while driving, so the in box just fills up and
> bounces new messages.

And with the increasing (and good idea, in my opinion) laws against texting
while driving, we should expect nothing less.  In fact, if we insist on
getting people to fiddle more and more with their radios, taking their eyes
off traffic and the road, we may find the laws get changed to not exempt us
from the various hands-free requirements, even for talking into a
microphone.  Regulatory backlash.

Don't push it, stay off their radar.

Greg  KO6TH