[aprssig] Simple mapping - NMEA

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 01:26:49 EDT 2011

On 4/18/2011 8:13 PM, Andrew Rich wrote:
> Hello
> Going on a boat - have road maps but no internetr access
> What is the best option ? Maybe jsut record NMEA and convert when i get back ?
> Need a simple mapping solution - made up a map for UI-VIEW
> Coral sea - east of Australia

Use UIview as a "map player" rather than as an APRS client.    Any map image
(scanned/photographed with a high-res digital camera/downloaded from the
Internet) in GIF, BMP or PNG format with a pair of known lat/long calibration
points on it can be displayed inside UIview. You can cause a cross-hairs to be
displayed at your own position from a local GPS.

A useful tool to download already calibrated images from Google Maps, Yahoo
Maps or Microsoft Bing is "Universal Maps Downloader".  This shareware utility
can download any number of map images to cover a specified lat/long-bounded
box, and then stitch them together to form a far larger single image, ready to
use in UIivew.  You can create images far larger than the small window you see
online on Google and Yahoo maps.  I have created large-area hi-res maps that
involved over a thousand tiles!

UIview can handle images far larger (in terms of pixels) than the size of the
window displaying them on your PC.   UIview then becomes a scrollable viewport
showing part of a far larger image.       I have used maps of over 2500 x 3500
pixels in UIview.  The key is to reduce the number of colors in the image to
only 256 or even 16 colors.

A review of "Universal Maps Downloader" with many samples is here on my website:

. <http://wa8lmf.net/MapCaptureTool>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net