[aprssig] APRSdroid 1.0 has been released

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Apr 18 13:40:23 EDT 2011

Hi All,

After several months of intensive development, I have just released
APRSdroid 1.0 to the Android Market.

APRSdroid is an open-source APRS-IS position reporting and displaying
application for Android devices.

The new version comes with several major improvements compared to the
last 0.9 release:

 * The new Hub View gives a good overview of the local tactical
   situation, including large-print callsigns and frequencies for
   your neighbors.

 * The Station Info shows details about a selected station, including
   alternative SSIDs in use and the recent packet history. It also
   allows direct access to QRZ.com and aprs.fi (thanks to Hessu for the
   good work on the website :)
   You can also track a station on the map from its Info page.

 * The Map View now allows displaying/hiding of APRS objects and allows
   to switch to satellite maps.

 * Improved performance: database access does not block the user
   interface any more, allowing to cope even with large APRS-IS feeds.
   (This is still limited by your device CPU, so please do not overdo ;)

 * New APRS parser based on AVRS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/avrs/)

The next features to be implemented on my TODO list are:
 * Messaging support
 * Bluetooth TNC support
 * AFSK decoding using the microphone

You can support further APRSdroid development by getting the Market
version from https://market.android.com/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app

You can also just download the binary from http://aprsdroid.org/download/

Of course, you will need an APRS-IS passcode to be able to transmit your
position reports.

The APRSdroid home page is at http://aprsdroid.org/

73 from Germany
Georg, DO1GL (author of APRSdroid)
--
|| http://op-co.de ++  GCS/CM d-- s: a- C+++ UL+++ !P L+++ E--- W++  ++
|| gpg: 0x962FD2DE ||  N++ o? K- w---() O M V? PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ t+  ||
|| Ge0rG: euIRCnet ||  5 X R(+) tv b+(++) DI+++ D+ G e+++ h- r++ y?  ||