[aprssig] TWO APRS Balloon Flights This Weekend!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 21:56:20 EDT 2011

On 4/16/2011 4:48 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> 1)  On Saturday morning at  06:50 MDT (1250 UTC), EOSS (Edge of Space
> Sciences) in the Denver area will launch AE0SS-11 from the Loveland, CO area
> about 40 miles north of Denver.

The EOSS flight of AE0SS-11 is now complete.  Due to a bug in a UIview
Scheduler script, TWO copies of UI-HeightTrack were launched unknown to me.
The result was NO live track during the event, except on the topo map.

However, the nifty UI Logging Recorder saved the day.  I had not paid much
attention to this UIview feature in the past.   The "Logs, Start Logging"
function on the UIview menu bar can "record" several hours of traffic appearing
on the UIview map.  You can then play them back exactly the same way at a later
time.  Even better you can play them back at 25 times the original speed.  It
was really slick to be to watch a two-hour flight in about 5 minutes, and see
the chase vehicles moving across the map.

I now realize the logger will be perfect for presentations to radio clubs on
APRS without having to set up live radios, as I have done in the past.    In
this case, I was able to recreate the whole flight with Height-Track working
correctly.   The final page for today's flight is now up at:

<http://wa8lmf.net/LiveTrack>

and in the permanent balloon flights archive at:

<http://wa8lmf.net/balloons>

The first page above will be replaced late tonight (US Pacific Daylight Time)
with the page for tomorrow's flight of KJ6KUV-11  from Ojai, CA at 08:00 AM PDT
(1500 UTC) Sunday 17 April 2011 .