[aprssig] [APRS] LightSquared GPS Interference Issue Flares Again in Senators' Letter

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 15 14:22:21 EDT 2011

The key to this is simple SPECTRUM PLANNING!

>"Even though our transmitter is doing exactly what
> it's supposed to do and not sending any signal into GPS,
> the GPS receiver is looking into our spectrum either
> by accident or design," Carlisle said...

It was NOT their spectrum!  It was a satellite RECEIVE only band.  Then the
stupid FCC with its Lawyers and INFINITE lack of RF knowledge granted
LightSquared a WAIVER to operate TRANSMITTERS in a RX only band.

DUH!  It is not the receiver's fault.  That is why we have SPECTRUM
PLANNING, so that one does not place high power transmitters in bands
ADJACENT to weak signal receivers.

Aren't there any RF engineers left at the FCC?

Bob, WB4APR