[aprssig] Bogus Voice Alert was Re: Connecticut Trip report

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 12 14:02:02 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:25:54PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bruninga at usna.edu> flavor, containing:
> Back in December I reported:
>
> > There is a permanent voice alert fixed station
> > that I hear every 5 to 10 minutes along I95 in
> > Connecticut.  Drives me nuts.  No one there to
> > answer his own VA CQ's.
>
> I start hearing it about the time I enter CT on I-95 and lose it about half
> way to New Haven.  It really kills VA along one of the nations highest
> traveled corridors because we all turn down our VA and then forget, thus
> becoming another part of the not-listening problem...

You think that's annoying --- imagine my surprise while staying in Fort Collins,
Colorado when I found that nearly every station was running Voice Alert.  Or
at least it appeared that way until I realized that most of them were really
far away and couldn't possibly be in simplex range.  In fact all that VA noise
was because the nearest digipeater has 100Hz PL on transmit...

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."