[aprssig] APRS hints-and-kinks

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 12 12:18:33 EDT 2011

> Is there any client software or hardware
> that has problems displaying items?

To my recollection (sometimes proved wrong)... the reason we avoid using
ITEMS is because the D700 does not properly decode COMPRESSED items...  This
was not discovered until the D700 had been out for years and so for the best
reliability of getting APRS info out to mobiles, it was recommended not to
use ITEMS.

Maybe it is time to put together a LIST of these quirks that drive some of
our common APRS usage...  The "APRS Capabilitites Chart" goes a long way in
showing what things can do, but maybe we need a chart of things that should
be avoided and why.?

I'll volunteer to maintain the list, if people want to submit items...  Here
is a start based on some recent emails:

* ITEMS (COMPRESSED) - Avoided due to D700 parsing anomaly.
* KPC-3+ KISS IGATES - Can cause buffer delays

There were a few others that I had thought were due to UIview, but Keith has
corrected me on those, and so I don't think we have a trail any more as to
why some of these quirks remain...Here are some more...

* Using 111111z OBJ time - Because 000000z causes something to ignore
objects?
* FFF.FFFMHz_ - must have a space separating following text, or FTM-350
ignores it
* All TT3's appear as D700's - Because Byonics used wrong Mic-E TYPE code

There are more, I think.  Anyone?

Bob, WB4APR