[aprssig] Terrestrial Threat to GPS Has Now Hit The Mainstream Media

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Tue Apr 12 01:14:30 EDT 2011

Bernard,

                Light Squared is planning on deploying a cellular type
network of high powered transmitters in spectrum that was previously
designated for satellite services which is why it is right next to the GPS
band. They will be high power directional antennas designed to deliver high
speed internet services. Make no doubt that they will run high power and do
so over channels that will be from 5 to 20 MHz wide. Signals like this have
a high potential to swamp the GP receiver that are sensitive down to -158
dBm! I work in this wireless ISP industry. They will deploy the cheapest
radios they can to keep the cost of deployment down. My fear is that this
cheap radios will not have enough filtering in them to keep from splattering
signal in to the GPS band. While this level of signal won't be an issue for
a radio that can only hear down to -90 dBm or so, those GPS receivers at
-158 will have a hard time rejecting those signal especially when it becomes
a cumulative problem with hundreds of these towers deployed all over. These
wireless internet networks are design to offer residential broadband
service. They will be almost continuous duty cycles from the tower side.

Thank You,

Brian N2KGC

www.wirelessmapping.com

www.Broadband-Mapping.com