[aprssig] ARPS physical layer

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Sep 16 16:41:07 EDT 2010

I discovered early in the development of the OpenTracker that a long
string of 7E flags just doesn't do a good job of syncing the receiver.
My decode rate drastically improved when I switched to 0's.

There are some other audible differences, too.  Some of the TNCs use
V.23 instead of Bell 202 which has the tones 100 Hz closer to the
center, I think.  Also, I think there's a difference between the
digitally synthesized tones (specifically in the transition between
tones) used by things like the OpenTracker and TinyTrak and purely
hardware-based modems like in the KPC-3.

(Another trip to the desert and another missed rendezvous, Phil - maybe
*next* summer we'll have a chance to sit down and have a beer.  =])

Scott
N1VG