[aprssig] ARPS physical layer

John Hansen john at coastalchip.com
Thu Sep 16 10:17:36 EDT 2010

You may find it helpful to take a look at a paper I did for the TAPR Digital
Communications Conference:

*PIC-et Radio: How to Send AX.25 UI Frames Using Inexpensive PIC
Microprocessors* <http://www.tnc-x.com/dcc.doc>

(www.tnc-x.com/dcc.doc)

It goes over most of this stuff in some detail.  The bytes you have before
the address are the 7E flags.  In addition, you'll find that many TNC's idle
during the TXDelay period using 00's instead of 7E's.  With NRZI it does not
matter which state you start in.  Zero's are represented by a change of
state, it doesn't matter whether they are low to high or high to low.
There is no data scrambler with 1200 baud packet, but there is with 9600
baud packet.

Almost every developer I've ever talked about this (including me) has said
at one time or another that this or that feature "seems to be a poor
choice."  I've occasionally run across items that I didn't think really
conformed to the standard. You pretty much have to get over that if you want
to play in this sand box.  The standard is what it is and at this point it
has become so institutionalized that it's not going to change.

John W2FS