[aprssig] APRS Virtual Bulletin Board

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Sep 3 17:10:59 EDT 2010

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> You mention "clearing" a bulleting.  How is that done?
>> Transmitting the bulletin group/line with no text?
>>

> When I wrote that, I wasn't sure either.  But yes, that should
> do it because  the new blank line should overwrite what was
> there before.  But then that blank line now is "recent" and will
> not be eventually removed from the page because it now looks
> new.  So I guess there was no formal process.  Maybe, in your
> over-write old-lines algorithm, you can consider a blank line as
> "old"... Or at least older than its most recent transmission
> would imply...

Ok, since I know there isn't a standard in place yet, I think I'll just
interpret a white-space-filled bulletin as a kill and instantly remove
it from the display.  Now I need to add that to my Bulletin editor
(probably a Kill checkbox like I use on objects) to transmit a single
blank at the configured interval until the user remembers to disable the
bulletin.  If they simply delete the bulletin, maybe I'll send out one
blank message and just trust that the world will forget the bulletin
after a while.  Hessu's aprs.fi page displays bulletins received in the
previous 24 hours.

>> This is like crying wolf with the new bulletin
>> notification,...
>>

> Its your call.  I like the way APRSdos (after a restart) begins
> to beep as the bulletin page is re-filled.  It gives me a warm
> fuzzy that there are currently active bulletins out there, and
> that the bulletins I am looking at on that page are not
> something hanging on forever due to reboots...
>
> But I can see your side too.

I'm still planning to show the time something was received with a
probable color highlight, but the message itself will only highlight and
notify (beeps and/or popups) when it actually changes.

Now, if I could just get word to OK1COM-10 to use the line designator
instead of putting 1/2 and 2/2 in the same bulletin line every update.
As it stands, it looks "new" every time he transmits.

 From http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=OK1COM-10:

2010-09-03 20:35:06 UTC: OK1COM-10>APZM4A,TCPIP*,qAC,THIRD::BLN4WX
:1/2 V nejblizsich dnech neocekavame nebezpecne meteorologicke {571
2010-09-03 20:35:23 UTC: OK1COM-10>APZM4A,TCPIP*,qAC,THIRD::BLN4WX
:2/2 nebo hydrologicke jevy. {572