[aprssig] APRS Virtual Bulletin Board

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Sep 3 11:05:28 EDT 2010

Ok, it's obvious that you haven't seen the new Messages / Bulletins /
View feature on APRSISCE/32.  I did read your concept, and did implement
it, as has Hessu before me, as a .  As you pointed out, it is a
challenge with a full-feed from APRS-IS, but check out
http://aprs.fi/bulletin/

I've gone one step further than Hessu and even further than you
described below.  Since there's not only a "line" number but also a
"group" within the BLN destination spec, I sort the bulletin board based
on source callsign, group, and within group by line number.  You can see
a screen capture of the APRSIS32 bulletin view at
http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Bulletins.png

As with a lot of things in APRSISCE/32, there's more work to be done
here.  I plan to colorize the newer entries and also have an age-based
purge of non-refreshed bulletins.  Given the concept of the net cycle
time and your description of the new users quickly filling up with new
bulletins, then current bulletins should continue to be received and
refreshed (but not highlighted .  Also, I plan to allow a filtered
display based on source callsign so that you can bring up KJ4ERJ-AP's
bulletins and only see those.

You mention "clearing" a bulleting.  How is that done?  Transmitting the
bulletin group/line with no text?

You also mention that the display is "SORTED By callsign AND line
number" but in the same paragraph you say "The new
line with the same bulletin number REPLACES the previous one."  I assume
that should be the "same bulletin number from the same callsign"?

My goal is to implement APRS as it needs to be for the functionality
that users can find useful.  Bulletins definitely fit that definition in
my book, so I really appreciate the feedback and assistance at helping
me get it right.

PS. Given that many of us DO restart our APRS clients periodically, I
still believe persisting the bulletins is a good idea.   Otherwise, when
the client first starts, not only will the "Bulletin board ... soon fill
with all currently ... bulletins", but the arrival of each of those
bulletins will also be (quite inappropriately, IMHO) alerted to the user
as NEW.  This is like crying wolf with the new bulletin notification, so
to avoid doing this, I need to know what the bulletins were last thought
to be and only alert if a bulletin actually changes (including changes
from nothing to something for new ones).