[aprssig] APRS -- Automatic PACKET vs POSITION Reporting System

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 3 09:19:09 EDT 2010

It was originally PACKET.  Then innexpensive GPS started coming
out in the early 1990's and for a while I started refering to
POSITION, since that seemed to be a very popular application of
APRS and I wanted to take advantage of that popularity.  Then
all the TRACKER manufacturers got into high gear and turned APRS
into a one-way Vehicle Tracking system. And that is all that the
resto of ham radio was seeing..

As that very narrow view began to steamroll APRS into a pretty
stagnant one-way-tracking-to-internet dead-end, around 2004 or
so,  I began emphasizing APRS back to its original design
objectives of an information resource and two-way communications
system for ham radio.  A single clearinghouse channel for
EVERYTHING going on in ham radio in the local area.

So I agree.  I sent feedback to the VEC and suggested Automatic
Packet Reporting System as the proper terminology.  Especially
since this is a question for general ham radio operators and we
do not want to missrepresent APRS as a one-way AVLS system.

Bob, WB4APR