[aprssig] APRS Msg Acks and Trailing Spaces

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:31:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:
> We know that some TNCs add or remove trailing spaces and that some
> digipeaters run those TNCs.

Then those TNCs are broken, and should be upgraded or replaced.

>   My personal opinion is to strip
> trailing blanks off of APRS messages in general, both before checking for my
> received acks and before generating a return ack.

nonononono!

Do _not_ change the data.

Do not screw up the data in order to "work around" some bug in some
TNC that's so old is uses ROMs for program storage.

Upgrade or replace broken software or hardware, specifically whatever
is screwing up by adding/removing spaces.

-Jason
kg4wsv