[aprssig] SKYWARN Recognition Day

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Nov 30 22:21:51 EST 2010

This Saturday (December 4) is SKYWARN Recognition Day when amateur radio
operators light up the airwaves from participating National Weather
Service offices.  See http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/hamradio/ for more
information.

Since contacts via repeaters and EchoLink/IRLP are considered valid
(this isn't really a formal contest, but an awareness event), then why
not APRS contacts?  To make an APRS contact, simply send an APRS message
containing "CQ SKYWARN <additional text>" to "CQSRVR".  This will send
<additional text> to all those that have gone before and also subscribe
you to receive all future CQs to SKYWARN for the next 12 hours.  (See
also http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx)

I, for one, will be monitoring the SKYWARN CQ group on CQSRVR as long as
I can starting Friday evening at 7:00pm Eastern (hopefully representing
WX4MLB) until I hit the sack, and will again be monitoring all day
Saturday from elsewhere.  Send a CQ SKYWARN to CQSRVR and I'll get back
to you when I can from wherever I am.

PS.  I'm already signed up on SKYWARN via CQSRVR, so feel free to send a
message to test it before the contacts begin.