[aprssig] Ultimate APRS digi

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:40:00 EST 2010

>>> But by splitting all user inputs to alternate
>>> channels, the 144.39 can have 5 to 10 times
>>> the capacity is has now.
>>
>> There is a fundamental flaw in this proposal.
>> You can never hear a station directly.  If
>> you are in area with no digipeater coverage,
>> you will hear nothing on 144.39.
>
> I think maybe you missed something:
> 1) Everything on every alternate input is digipeated over to
> 144.39

This scheme helps but it doesn't scale.   I think the 5x to 10x is
overly optimistic.  For the few that actually do this change in
transmit frequency -- it might take the 144.39 channel from very
overloaded back to just overloaded.  Then a few more users show up and
we're back to very overloaded.

Expecting to see all traffic locally in a busy area is probably asking
more than a collision hindered 1200 baud channel can provide.  Using
an 9k6 flood of all traffic in the area and multiple 1200 input
channels may be more workable.

73
Bill - WA7NWP