[aprssig] THOUGHTS ON RELIEVING APRS CONGESTION ON 144.39

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Nov 17 13:32:37 EST 2010

> How did you decide which type of traffic to move
> to the ALT frequency?  It would seem to me that
> the primary traffic on 144.39 MHz 1200 baud should
> indeed be mobile traffic. According to WB4APR's
> plan (I think), ... APRS should be an information
> mode largely for mobiles who should see other
> mobile traffic but more importantly objects such
> as the local voice repeater, ham events, etc.

Agree.  We still want everything (of value) to the mobile
operator to OUTPUT on 144.39.

The number #1 problem with congestion on 144.39 is collisions on
the inputs of the digipeaters.  The outputs of the digipeaters
on 144.39 are not a problem, because they can hear the entire
regions and hold off until there is a quiet instant.  If only
digipeaters are outputting on 144.39, then the channel can carry
FIVE times what it is carrying now.

So the goal is to move as many local stations *TX* to the local
alternate channel.  All the locals will know it and so they will
get immediately improved performance because they are TX'ing on
a channel with no competition from ANY digipeaters or ANY out of
area traffic.  This is a WIN-WIN way to do APRS.  Generally if
144.39 +600 (144.99) is available in an area, it makes a perfect
local input channel for all locals.  They just have to remember
to change to 144.39 simplex when they leave their area.

> Also, how would mobiles coming into your area
> know to make the switch to the ALT frequency/
> ALT baud rate?

The local system still LISTENS for 1st-hop WIDE1-1 inputs on
144.39 visitors still get in perfectly and no change from the
rest of the world.  But locals who want better performance for
themselves (and hence, everyone else) will input on the
alternate channel (Maybe 144.99).

Visitors to the area who want to improve their performance with
a less congested input could also shift to the alternate channel
(+600 like the locals).  He will know this is availablle by the
BEACON from everyy digi in the area that is also listening on
144.99 input.  Their beacon will contain something like W2,
MDn-N,alt 144.99 ... (this is for Maryland MDn-N digis)...

Notice, this will display on the visitors screen as:

W2, MDn-N,
alt 144.99

And the digi should use the digi symbol with an "A" overlay
indicating it has an alt-input.

We have peen promoting this for over a decade.  Glad to see the
PNW is making progress.

As for 9600 baud, its input and output can be anywhere, because
it cannot monitor 144.39 information data at the same time, so
it also needs a separate 9600 baud OUTPUT from all its
digipeaters too.  So just about any local frequency can be used
for the 9600 baud local network, as long as all such packets are
aggregated, and converted to 1200 baud and eventually output on
144.39 for everyone else to see.

I believe the PNW does not do this last part, so the visitor
will see less and less  as locals move to the alternate freq.
(Therefore, I think this is not a good approach), also, because
of co-location of most ham repeaters and digipeaters, and using
dual-band D700's as the combbined 1200/9600 baud sites it only
make sense to me to make the 9600 on UHF so that there is no
mutual interference. And the radio can be doing both at the same
time.  (I think you have to interface the external 2m 144.39 TNC
to the speaaker and mic connections, h0owever, because if you
use the back panel DIN connector, then there is a muting issue
when it transmits on one band... I think...

Bob, WB4APR