[aprssig] THOUGHTS ON RELIEVING APRS CONGESTION ON 144.39

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 08:11:53 EST 2010

Dave,

All excellent ideas, except I see a problem here:

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM, David Dobbins <ddobbins at gmail.com> wrote:

We’re also encouraging makers of the VHF trackers to add 9600bd capability
> to their products. For those folks in areas oversaturated by APRS packets, I
> suggest the next time you make the mountaintop digipeater run to replace the
> existing VHF radio with a Kenwood TM-D700/D710 and give dual-APRS ops at
> 1200bd and 9600bd a try.

Most APRS first timers have a hard enough time tuning a 1k2 tracker for
proper deviation levels. Setting the 9600 levels without a service monitor
is practically impossible. The only real solution for 9k6 APRS for the lay
user is to get any of Kenwood D7/700/710 or Yaesu FTM-350/VX-8 radios.

Having someone that doesn't have the proper equipment to set the levels for
a 9k6 sig is an invitation for dismay and dissatisfaction. As with any
project though, you must build out infrastructure to see reliable coverage
and results over a given area.

Good leg work and validation of the 144.35/144.39 scenario. A dedicated
D700/710 is definitely the way to go there.

73,
Randy
WF5X