[aprssig] GPS Replacement

Joel Maslak (N7XUC) jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Fri Nov 5 14:34:42 EDT 2010

My 5+ year old AvMap died recently.  I liked the GPS, and it worked well for
me.  I like being able to see other stations on the map, and I liked the
large, bright screen it had.

I'm looking for a replacement.  I'm running a Kenwood D700, but I'm not
opposed to using a different TNC.  I also am not worried about what cable is
required to hook up the GPS, TNC, etc - I can manage that if need be.
Finally, it doesn't need to be good at navigation (I use my phone for that),
although I'd prefer a GPS designed for an auto over one designed for
aviation or boating - I'd like highway maps on it.  I would like to see
other stations on the map still.  The display also has to be readable in
sunlight.

I'm open to other solutions than the GPS/D700, if they provide a similar
level of mapping and messaging that I get with my old solution.