[aprssig] d-700 and icons

James Jolin jjolin at itol.com
Mon Nov 1 21:24:18 EDT 2010

On 11/01/2010 06:19 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Bob WB4APR wrote...
>
>> Repeater callsigns are completely meaningless...
>
> OK, so it's really a limitation of the D700 or D710 that they sort by
> callsign rather than some other criteria, such as "search for repeaters"
> or whatever based on e.g. the symbol. I guess it shows that I don't
> have one of them to view the limitations! With the symbol outputted
> to a display type GPS, it is apparent what they are and where they
> are. One day we will move beyond what the D700, D710 and TM-350
> can do, but for now, it appears that using the frequency for the object
> name is the best way to go. The names aren't unique, but that's only
> apparent on the APRS-IS, and of course, it's on RF that they are
> really useful.
>
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
> --

Keith and Bob,
This is all very interesting and I am still digesting it, but this
unfortunately does not explain why I am not getting my repeater objects
to display on the screen or on the d-700 list.
By the way, Keith, the D-star icon appears on Ul-View northwest of
Madison, Wi and, as I said, on the D-700 list.  Hope that answers that
question.
Here is a thought...are the icons supported by the radio just for the
radio alone?..not for stuff coming from rf?
Jim wa9arb