[aprssig] How to set Voice Alert

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 19 09:58:28 EDT 2010

>> I met a person at Dayton that never heard
>> anyone on voice alert in years, but come
>> to find out he was not set up right.
>
> I'd like to know what he did so I can decide if I should
> re-word my beginner guide to help eliminate his misconception.

I think he just put 144.39 with CTCSS 100 in memory so that he
could hear any activity while he was MEMORY SCANNING on Band B
with the volume up.  (APRS operations on Band A were normal set
to 144.39 with the volume turned down).  Using this technique,
and say 100 memories, he only had a 1% chance of hearing another
Voice Alert station.  And hearing one of those in the first
place is alreay a one-in-a-thousand chance, so his chance was
0.00001.

There are SEVERAL very important other NON-DEFAULT settings in
the D700!

1) D700-RADIO-DISPLAY-KEY_FUNCTION-MODE 3  Without this, the
radio is practically uselsess for APRS, because you have to
push-and-hold-1-sec even to access any APRS front panel keys.
Without this, APRS is just too hard to operate for display of
information and becomes just another one-way tracker.

2) D700-RADIO-MEMORY-AUTO_PM_STORE OFF
   D710-AUX--AUTO_PM_STORE OFF
With this defaulted to ON, then there is practically ZERO value
in using the PM's for saving important configurations.  If it is
ON, then every change you make while operating is remembered and
saved, such that your original settings are always vulnerable to
repeated changes.  This must be OFF if you expect to be able to
use a PM reliably.  That is, it always comes up from your
pre-programmed settings, and cannot get corrupted if you make a
change while operating.

3) Making sure to program  DIGIPEAT ON (for mycall) and UIDIGI
OFF.
4) Programming UIFLOOD to nothing and UITRACE to TEMP

Bob, WB4APR