[aprssig] D710 Whack-A-Mole!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 18 15:57:13 EDT 2010

>> ... it is frustrating to see MOST of the D710
>> mobiles [and] only 1 or 2 actually transmitting
>> their voice frequency of their Band-B!
>> ...[using STATUS #5]...

> some may find it useful and others are not. ...
> if I'm scanning around, the radio isn't going
> to know what to send.

It will send "scanning".  Yes, currently the D710 does not do
that, but I consider that to be a bug that will get fixed in the
next software version.  But when you do stop on a frequency for
a QSO, then others can see where you stopped.

> I do happen to have 146.52 programmed into a memory slot so
> that it gets scanned along with other repeaters...

Yes, it will pickup a QSO in progress, but it will most likely
never pick up a random call.  AND no one is driving around
calling CQ 52 every single minute like APRS Voice Alert does on
144.39.  Its like a free proximity detector...

> ... a very small fraction of amateur operators have
> APRS so that feature is lost on the general amateur
> population.  If I used your APRS frequency reporting
> scheme I'd practically never talk to anyone.  At least
> if I scan around on the various repeaters
> I'm more likely to find someone on the air.

I don't see the connection.  Activating the frequency reporting
so that one's voice channel is included in his beacons has
nothing to do with what he listens to or how he scans.  But if
he does stop on a channel and has a QSO, then at least others
can see where he is and join him if they want.

> I also agree... about having to pay attention to
> driving.  I can listen for voices very easily ...
> Using the APRS method I have to notice the message
> on the screen and then press a specific button to
> autotune, then make sure I autotuned and then I
> can start talking.

Again, these issues have little to do with you per-se.  They
have to do with others who might want to or might need to
contact you.  You do not have to do a thing to receive such a
call.  We are not asking you to do anything while driving.  We
are asking people to consider setting up their radios to let us
know where they are listening in case someone wants/needs to
contact them.

> It's a nice idea but it doesn't fit my communication style
> because there just aren't that many APRS users compared to
> general users.  If 100% of operators had APRS then I could
> very quickly find someone who is on the air and tune right
> into them.  Even then it also has to be safe to do.  Until
> then I scan around the repeaters listening for voice activity.

The ringer on a telephone is similar.  It is rarely used.
Especially if your area rarely uses telephones, but it has to be
there if in the rare occasion, someone wants to call you.
Automatically including your operating frequency in your
position beacons is like making sure your cellphone is not set
to SILENT and sitting under something in the back seat.

> PS:  Yes I do have the Voice Alert tone programmed but to
> date I have never heard a nearby station using it so either I
> can't hear other users directly or there just aren't that
> many of them in the first place.

That's when one needs it most.  So that one doesn't miss the
opportunity to hear when a fellow APRS affectionado drives by in
simplex range looking for a QSO.

The problem is that there were hundreds of APRS mobiles enroute
to Dayton, and 95% of them did not have voice alert activated so
others could raise them as they drove by!  I just don't
understand why someone would have a ham radio on, during the
prime-ham-driving day of the year if he was not interested in
being able to hear someone call him.

Anyway, my thoughts.
Bob, WB4aPR