[aprssig] RFID

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Sun May 16 06:51:39 EDT 2010

At 01:57 AM 5/16/2010, James wrote:
>The newer cars dont need a key at all. Lexus and others use RFID to
>enable the car, push button start ignition and enable the doors to unlock.

I thought about that while I was writing my reply, James. These cars
with keyless, pushbutton start certainly have a "cool" factor, but
there are some security concerns. I wonder if they use a more
sophisticated RFID system or if the manufacturers warn the owners
that their "key" could be scanned by someone up to no good.

I did a little Googling to see what I could find on the subject.
Here's a quote from edmunds.com:

"And the engine won't respond to a signal from just any old key fob.
Dave Buchko, BMW product communications manager, explains: "Each key
contains a chip with an ID code that the car must recognize. In
addition, there is a random code that each key receives when the
engine is shut off. The vehicle will read and match both codes. If
the car cannot match the ID code to the last random code sent to the
key in question, it won't start.""

So, with the BMW system, the car "re-programs" the remote each time
you shut off the car. Not entirely theft proof, but at least they
recognize the problem.

Personally, I'm not too worried. There are no BMW's or Lexus's in my
future. <grin>

Bob...