[aprssig] Balloon warmth

Bruce bruce.coates at sasktel.net
Wed Mar 24 14:57:23 EDT 2010

Ok, now you got me interested.  I've been wondering what I was going to do
with the two unused ADC inputs on my SMT OpenTracker and now I know.  On our
May 8th flight I hope to include an experiment to measure the effect of
solar heating.  I'll have two identical Styrofoam blocks suspended outside
the payload box.  Each will contain an LM335Z temperature sensor.  One will
be painted black (or whatever I find that absorbs IR) and the other will be
unpainted white Styrofoam.  The 335s will provide a wee bit of self heating
which might simulate the heat radiated by devices in a normal payload.  I
could also move the bias resistor out there for a wee bit more heating.  The
biggest trick will be not getting them knocked off during post burst.  ;-)

Should be interesting.

73, Bruce - VE5BNC
SABRE Balloon Project
http://ve5aa.dyndns.org/balloon