[aprssig] Balloon warmth

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Mar 23 22:28:18 EDT 2010

Hi Bob,

Part of what I was testing with this flight was exactly that theory.
The payload was sealed up in 2" black heat shrink tubing.  The
temperature sensor was exposed, though, so it didn't tell much about the
payload itself.

There's a simple temperature sensor in the microcontroller itself, and a
better one on the radio board, so with a little more work I can at least
log those.  This payload had 2 megabytes of flash memory for logging,
but I didn't get any code written to use it before launch.

I suspect the air in the Coke bottles made a decent insulator, and they
ought to work like a greenhouse.  The heat shrink alone apparently
wasn't good enough.

The pressure sensor seems to have performed well.  I'm using the Bosch
Sensortec BMP085, which sells for around $8.  It's 7mm square by 1mm
thick, weighs virtually nothing, and draws very little power.  It also
causes the MX146 transmitter to freak out if you don't properly
terminate your I2C commands.

The landing site should be showing up online now.  It was called in by
the homeowner whose garage roof it landed on.  The payload should be on
its way back in a couple of days.  If it wasn't a 3 hour drive, I'd go
pick it up myself.

Scott
N1VG