[aprssig] Blue Horizon Readies for 2010 Flights, and Needs YOUR Help to Ensure Success!

ProjectBlueHorizon contact at projectbluehorizon.com
Sun Mar 21 00:41:49 EDT 2010

Fellow Hams –

Project Blue Horizon <http://www.projectbluehorizon.com/> is back on the air
and in the skies! Our wildly successful and record breaking
flights<http://www.arhab.org/ARHABrecords.htm>from prior years
inspired us to aim for even loftier goals this year. Each
of our two missions this year will include two flights, for a total of four
balloons launched. Our first mission’s goal will be to reclaim our Highest
GPS Reported Maximum Altitude *and *extend our Longest Flight Time records;
our second mission will extend our Longest Flight Time record and allow us
to perform scientific experiments measuring the atmospheric effects of
near-space flight.

We plan to launch our first mission this year sometime in early April, and
we again need your expert help in tracking our balloons. As with last year,
our primary method of collecting telemetry data will be on the 40 meter HF
band, specifically on 7.0125 MHz. Additionally, we will use the APRS network
on 144.390 MHz to track the balloons while utilizing line-of-sight to land
stations connected to the APRS network.

Based on the fantastic support and response from the world wide ham
community, we established a new website
<http://www.projectbluehorizon.com/>to centralize the tracking of
data, as well as maintained our existing Twitter
feed <http://twitter.com/PBH3> and email list<contact at projectbluehorizon.com>.
Please sign up<http://www.projectbluehorizon.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=register>on
our
website <http://www.projectbluehorizon.com/> and follow us on
Twitter<http://twitter.com/PBH3>so we can keep you informed of latest
developments. If you have 40m HF
equipment and are willing to track our flights, please reply with your
location, call sign, email, and phone number so we can coordinate tracking
of our telemetry data. Please also reply with all the requested contact
information if you live in Europe, Africa, or Asia, administer APRS
repeaters, and are willing to reconfigure the input frequency to listen for
144.390 MHz instead of your home frequency.

Much more detailed information will be distributed as we get closer to
launch (including, of course, the launch window and countdown clock). Until
then, please check out our website <http://www.projectbluehorizon.com/> and

73,

KC2TUA

Tom Triebwasser