[aprssig] Deviation

Steve Bunting stephen.bunting at virgin.net
Tue Mar 16 10:53:57 EDT 2010

I have old school packet question for you all from someone who is still
learning....

In an attempt to be a good citizen, I have picked up a deviation meter
and am going round tweaking various trackers and digis that I use or am
responsible for rather than using the traditional “by ear” method.

I have several TNCs and radio combinations in use but there is always a
difference in the low and high tone deviation, e.g. when my OT1+ has a
high tone deviation of 2.4KHz, the low tone is only at 1.5Khz. I
understand that this is normal and why
(http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html ) but my question is
what do I set the deviation at for the high and/or low tone at for a
12.5KHz channel? I asked this question on the UKAPRS forum and got
several different answers (ranging from 0,9 to 2.4KHz). Whilst I
appreciate the time that has been put into providing these replies, I am
not much further towards knowing which is right so am asking a larger
audience.

I am not trying to start a fight, I just want to understand!

Thanks in advance for your help es 73
Steve M0BPQ