[aprssig] Color Display

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:04:57 EST 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> Shawn Stoddard wrote:
>> I recall seeing something about the color of a station indicating how
>> recently it has been heard from. Anybody know where I might have seen this?
>
> It would help to know what APRS software you are referring to with this
> question.  The display of a station, particularly its color, is up to the
> software and not part of the APRS protocol spec itself, although Bob
> Bruninga's APRSdos had some color coding that it did, but I don't believe it
> was based on age, but on capabilities.

Xastir has a mode: "Display last report age", which displays minutes
since the station was last heard.  That text starts out green,
changes to yellow after some number, then red some minutes after
that.  The intent was to help check up on SAR personnel more often
via voice-checks if they weren't being heard from on APRS.  If the
age goes yellow, call then on voice.  If it goes red, perhaps have
another team check on them.