[aprssig] APRS Messenger PSK-63 30M Mobile Test

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 04:20:56 EST 2010

Getting ready for *MOBILE* PSK63 tests.

This coming week,  Wednesday March 10th, I will be mobile from Pasadena,
CA to Las Vegas, NV for the annual IWCE (International Wireless
Communications Expo).    I will be beaconing on 30M HF PSK63 with the
call   WA8LMF-HF   enroute.      This will be with my standard mobile
installation of a Yaesu FT-857 and a W6HIQ HiQ screwdriver on my Jetta
TDI.   Pics of the mobile setup here:

<http://wa8lmf.net/mobile>

Since we don't (yet) have real-time GPS capability in APRS Messenger, I
will be beaconing a status text with my approximate position described
verbally -- i.e. "Near Barstow, CA" or some such.   I have transmitted a
dummy posit, representing the approximate mid-point of the trip, into
the APRS-IS, so WA8LMF-HF now shows on both findu and aprs.fi, allowing
the STATUS field to be viewed.

I will ALSO be doing the usual VHF beaconing on 2M (with my D700 and
GPS) under the call WA8LMF (no SSID) if you want to see my exact
position.  [The stretch of Interstate-15 between L.A. and Las Vegas has
continuous 2M 144.39 coverage.]

The trip TOWARD Las Vegas will be in the morning of 10 March  starting
around 8 to 9:00 AM or so local (Pacific) time).

The return trip from Vegas back to L.A. will be in the evening of the
following day (11 March) probably starting around 6-7:00 PM Pacific, so
it should be able to take advantage of more favorable propagation to the
eastern parts of the US in the early evening hours.

My home station, running another copy of APRS Messenger will be
functioning as a 30M igate on PSK63.    The PSK63 igate is WA8LMF-30
(as in meters...)    I have no idea if any of my own mobile posits will
make it to my own igate in Pasadena.   (Both the mobile and fixed
station are using vertical whips -- terrible for close-in NVIS operation
which is what I really need.)

I'm designing a 30M magnetic loop ant for the home station which should
be vastly superior for NVIS, but it won't be ready in time for this
trip.  Hopefully, it will be ready for the cross-country trek to Dayton
in May.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: