[aprssig] Clarification on Wide 1 digi characteristic please

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Mon Mar 1 17:16:20 EST 2010

Keith VE7GDH wrote:
<snip>
> 2010-03-01 11:02:41 UTC:
> NA1SV-3>APN383,WIDE2-1,qAR,KB1ROO-10
> :!4110.55NN07313.42W#PHG5050 Fill-in Digi in Fairfield, CT
>
> it claims that it is just a fill-in digi. My take on that is that the
> information
> "fill-in digi" is erroneous... basically,the symbols and beacon
> comments
> by digis are supposed to tell you of their capabilities, but not
> always.

Yes,  I notice NA1SV-3 digipeater responds to packets addressed via either
WIDE1-1 or WIDE2-1, so it is not a fill-in digi.  It's TNC settings need a
update (including to show a "S overlay" on it's digi star map symbol) too.
And yes, as Keith mentions, if WX1CT is your local fill-in digi (responding
only to packets addressed via WIDE1-1 or it's own callsign), it would be
better if set to be properly "traceable."

-- Setting up WX1CT's UI-View32 to act as a fill-in or event digi.--
This type of digi is the least harmful to our congested VHF network.
You must be running your TNC in KISS mode to enable the digipeater in
UI-View32.
Go to Setup -> Digipeater Setup
Enable Digi is checked
UI Only is checked