[aprssig] Tiger map problems (again)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jun 27 16:48:43 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:41:47PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ko6th_greg at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've had this problem before, but the techniques to solve it aren't working this time...
>
> Tiger maps have disappeared.  I'm running xastir, and all I get is the blank background.  Other maps (e.g. topo) do seem to load, but I like to use the Tiger ones.

This has been covered to death on the xastir list over the last few weeks.

The Census has taken down the tigermaps server, and has no intention of
providing that service anymore.  It's a Census issue, not an Xastir or network
issue.

Very recent versions of Xastir (i.e. pulled from CVS and rolled yourself)
now support OpenStreetMaps as a replacement for the street-level mapping
formerly provided by Tiger.  No released version has this support, as it is
simply too new and is still under development.

> The internet connection is fine.  Any hint on what to do next?

If you want on-line street level mapping, you need to upgrade Xastir to
a CVS version from the last couple of weeks.

The xastir.org web site is currently down, which means you're stuck unless
you already know how to build from CVS --- the wiki with all the system-
specific build instructions is down, as is the mailing list (hosted on the
same machine).

You should also join the Xastir user mailing list (once it's back on line).  It
is the best way to keep abreast of issues like this.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."