[aprssig] Hamfest and local information

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Thu Jun 17 10:57:47 EDT 2010

Just use Steve's statement and add "and a 1-way weather station data
transmitters, etc..".

I read his point as a 1-way communication service. As long as the
information is useful, it is not all bad. The weather stations reporting on
APRS provide an excellent community service to many locations on the map and
feed the Mesonet. Add the NWS 1-way message bulletins and we get an
invaluable service unparalleled by any other. The next time you encounter
severe weather that is life threatening and your radio or computer convey
instant direction and distance relative to you, then the 1-way communication
is not all bad because it contains useful information. There is no weather
person on TV or the radio that can convey this type of information to you
instantly without being ambiguous.When seconds count there is no room for
ambiguity. Every SKYWARN station should be equipped with APRS to see what
they are missing, use it to fill in the missing pieces, or use it to put the
puzzle pieces together.

I used 2 severe weather events from last year to help describe and convey
the clarity that APRS provides during a fast moving severe weather events to
drive the point about missing pieces of information. These were presented at
local EMA offices.

http://qsl.net/n8deu/Alabama_APRS/North_Alabama_APRS_Weather.html

73's,
Tim - N8DEU