[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 11:55:56 EDT 2010

Our power was affected by the thunderstorms last night -- I promised I'd get
back last night, but am a little late.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> > None, but if we keep putting bandages on it rather
> > than pushing for the manufacturers to do it right
> > we'll keep waiting for a long time.
>
> Push, push.. Push?
>
> Its sad that ham radio has devolved to an appliance hobby where
> we just sit on our hands and wait for the Japanese to design our
> next toy and then have it manufactured in China and shipped to
> our waiting hands...

I'll agree to that -- but we have to have something more than a 35-question
multiple choice exam with the questions published before this situation gets
any better.

<snip>

No matter how much one would desire to go back and change these
> tens of thousands of radios, it is never going to happen.  And
> so I see no harm in taking matters into our own hands and
> *CONTINUING* what we have been doing for 18 years, and that is
> using common SSID's where practical.

But I can't agree here.  We have NOT been using SSIDs to give station
information for a decade now.

According to Steve Dimse, icons based on SSIDs was deprecated in 2000, ten
years ago.  I gave the link to some information a few days ago, but it seems
to have disappeared -- see <
http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/003539.html> --

[aprssig] Why does... *Steve Dimse* steve at dimse.com
<aprssig%40tapr.org?Subject=%5Baprssig%5D%20Why%20does...&In-Reply-To=6.1.0.6.2.20050119001941.0282af60%40email.plateautel.net>
*Wed Jan 19 21:23:26 UTC 2005*

   <http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/003504.html>
   <http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/003543.html>
]<http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/date.html#3539> [
   thread ]<http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/thread.html#3539>
[
   subject ]<http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/subject.html#3539>
[
   author ]<http://www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2005-January/author.html#3539>

------------------------------

On 1/19/05 at 12:20 AM Earl Needham <needhame1 at plateautel.net

>*
*>*         Why does
*>*KD5XB-9>APRS,MELROZ*,WIDE5-4,qAo,W5ALL-1:$GPRMC,043322,A,3410.6052,N,10321.2030
*,
>*W,032.0,228.6,190105,,*0F
*>*
*>*show as a house on Findu but as a little red car (as it should) in Ui-View?
*>*
*The use of icons based on SSID was deprecated 5 years ago when I created findU,
the correct way to set an icon for a stand-alone tracker is with GPSxyz.

Steve K4HG

Bob, either I'm totally misunderstanding what you want to do with SSIDs, or
else you want to take a step ten years into the past.

I also stated a few days ago -- that I periodically get messages where
somebody is trying to correct my use of -11 as my SSID in the 18-wheeler,
usually that person has actually tried APRS for less than a week!  This
proposal will only increase those incidents, I think.

I've always felt, that if I want to see icons in my mobile, I should
purchase a laptop or an Avmap or something like that.  When I run a HamHUD,
all I see is positions and raw packets, not icons.  I've always taken the
view that I am responsible for spending the money to see however much I want
to see.

If you wish to go back to using SSIDs to set icons, then whatever happened
to -9=car, -10=truck, etc???

I guess that's about it -- perhaps more to come.

7 3
Earl
--

KD5XB -- Earl Needham