[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Thu Jun 10 02:44:15 EDT 2010

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>>> Better on what?
>>> Not on the front panel of my radio while
>>> I am driving!  I don't want to take my
>>> hands off the wheel to go Button pushing
>>> and screen chasing just to see something
>>> I can see by the callsign.
>
>> Perhaps this implies the radio front panels need improvement ?
>
> Yes, but how many years are you willing to wait?

Devices like the Apple iPad are large, touch screen displays which can provide
great information display with a lot more resolution and font size then our
radios.  I'm convinced it is time to stop asking the radio manufacturers to
provide all of these features.  Instead, we need them to provide "network"
centric interfaces to the TNC and radio control functions using a TCP-terminal
server interface.  There should be an ethernet port and/or USB-to-WiFi connector
on the radio so that we can use it from other equipment without silly wires.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW