[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Wed Jun 9 16:21:41 EDT 2010

Quoting Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>:

>> We've already done this,
>> found that symbols/icons are better,
>
> Better on what?
> Not on the front panel of my radio while I am driving!

Bob, what mobile radio are you looking at that doesn't display the
APRS symbol? I know my Kenwood TM-D710 displays the symbols. Not in
list view, but certainly in the full display view. And that full
display is a lot easier to read than the list.

I'm not disputing the value of SSIDs, but, in my opinion, they provide
significantly little information compared to the symbols.
Standardizing on SSIDs has its merits, but the standards need to be
very broad because we only have 16 SSIDs available to us. That's why I
brought up -9 for mobile vs. -14 for trucks a few days ago--the
distinction between the two applications is not great enough to
justify a separate SSID.

I have no problem with your most-recently proposed list (except for
-14). I just think your argument regarding the value of SSIDs vs.
symbols in a mobile environment is a little weak.

Bob...