[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jun 9 15:20:08 EDT 2010

> We've already done this,
> found that symbols/icons are better,

Better on what?
Not on the front panel of my radio while I am driving!
I don’t want to take my hands off the wheel to go
Button pushing and screen chasing just to see something I can
see by the callsign.

> and quit using SSIDs this way ten years ago.

I don’t know where you can say that.  The SSID conventions are
very much alive and well.  And in use by most everyone.  Just
look at all the -9's, -11's and -14's

>  I see no reason to take a step backwards.

It’s a step forwards.  Few APRS large full screen map
applications are in the vehicles anymore (though there are more
and more tiny crackberry and Iphone apps, but we don’t want
people fiddling with those little screens and buttons while they
are driving just to see if that callsign that just passed them
was a digi or a mobile.)  I sure hope they are NOT using these
little toys while driving!

But, every year we are seeing more and more radios that display
APRS directly.  This re-envigorating of SSID conventions is to
improve that experience for the hands-free driver and make it
easier for the mobile operator to sense what is around him
without taking his hands off the wheel.

Please, if you don’t use the SSID conventions, then that is
fine, but do not undermine the value for those that do.

Bob, WB4APR

interest.
> It’s the *application*, or what is happening in the
surrounding
> local area...
>
> I think some people are missing the point.  This SSID
discussion
> is about the advantages of what a MOBILE can see on the front
> panel of his radio or on his attached GPS map.
>
> With maybe a dozen callsigns flashing on the screen a minute,
we
> usually want to ignore most of them, but also have a way to
> notice if there is one that we might have further interest in.

> If we see a -11, we might get excited!  It might be a balloon
> event worth chasing, or an aircraft worth digiepating through
or
> contacting if he includes his frequency.
>
> If we see a -6, we might take a closer look to see if it is a
> special event or activity going on, or a special test or
> experiment.
>
> If it is a -10, it might be the local Igate, and it would be
> nice to check it out to see if it is 2-way or not.
>
> If we see a -9, then it might be a nearby mobile.  This
usually
> means a real-live human ham, who might want to QSO...
>
> If we see a -7, it might be someone doing something special
with
> his HT.  Generally, people do not always carry their APRS HT
on
> a routine basis, so when they do, then they are often up to
> something we might be intereseted in ...
>
> If we are wondering about the weather and see a -13, we might
> want to check it out to see the WX up ahead of where we are
> going...
>
> If we see a -8, then it might be someone on a boat or RV out
> playing, or is up to something interesting.
>
> So, seeing the callsign and SSID flash by gives a hint as to
> whet that station might be doing and whether we want to take
the
> trouble to go check it out on the other screens.
>
> So it is not about particular stations or hardware so much as
> first-order clue as to what that station might be up to.
>
> The updated SSID list is on www.aprs.org/aprs11/SSIDs.txt
>
> Bob, WB4APR
>
> > --- On Mon, 6/7/10, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_ at rlburns.net>

> > > Why take up one of the 16 available SSIDs to distinguish
> > > between regular mobiles and trucks? Could -14 be put to
> > > better use for some other purpose?
> > >
> > > Bob, I know you'll cringe when you read this, but SSIDs
> > > really present a problem for me. In my APRS arsenal, I
have
> > > the following:
> > >
> > > 1. A Kenwood TM-D710 in my car.
> > > 2. A Kenwood TM-D710 in my SUV.
> > > 3. Two Argent Data T2-135s mounted in Alinco DR-135
radios.
> > > They could theoretically be used anywhere I need a
temporary