[aprssig] Digipeater Question

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jun 7 17:59:02 EDT 2010

Tim N9PUZ wrote...

> Which digpeater parameters and originating TNC settings determine
> whether or not an APRS packet is digipeated?
>
> On a KPC-3 if MYALIAS is set to FRED then according to the KPC-3/3+
> manual it should digipeat a packet sent VIA FRED but what makes it
> respond, or not respond to WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2, etc.?

Wes really answered your question with references to UITRACE and
UIFLOOD. If you go to www.nwaprs.info and look at the WIDEn-N
page www.nwaprs.info/widen-n.htm you will see all of the settings
spelled out. You can still make adjustments if you want to shorten the
path for your own outgoing beacons. Hmmm... the text description in
the WIDEn-N page mentioned above is OK but where the actual settings
are shown near the top of the page, they don't look correct.

In the example of the BLT settings shown there, it will beacon once each
hour with a two hop path, and also every 10 minutes starting at 4, 6 and
8 minutes after the hour. That kinda looks like every two minutes! Well,
at least at 4, 6, 8 minutes, and at 14, 16, 18 minutes, and then at 24, 26 and
28 minutes, and then at 34, 36 and 38 minutes and so on. It may be direct
with no hops, that's pretty often.

I'll email the NWAPRS group and see if that can be updated. I have my
own KPC3+ based digi beacon every half hour starting at the top of
the hour with no path (i.e. at the top of the hour and 30 minutes after)
and every 30 minutes starting at 10 minutes after the hour (i.e. at 10 and
40 minutes after the hour) with no path, and once each hour at 20 minutes
after the hour with a one hop WIDE2-1, and once each hour at 50 minutes
after the hour with a two hop WIDE2-2 path. UITRACE is set to WIDE,30
and UIFLOOD is set to BC,30,ID to support SSn-N digipeating.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH