[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 11:36:10 EDT 2010

Hmmmm.   I'm not on any particular side of this, so I ask what purpose are we trying ro address with the SSID?

Some thoughts...

1- The radio type is supposed to be handled elsewhere, so using the SSID to distingush the radio type is redundant.

2 - Does another ham *need* to know the radio type in order to know where you are, if you're available, or how to contact you?  If you have two vehicles, then a -7 for both seems ok.  This may go the issue of a non-licensed wife/child driving an APRS equipped car/plane.

2a - Does he need to know *which* vehicle you're in?

3 - Perhaps more significant, WHY are you beaconing in the first place?  If you are trying to do a LoJack thing, just in case, the comment field can easily distinguish.

4 - It seems that there is a need for an up-front indication (the D700 has to be scrolled to see the symbol) that something is simply being tracked - like a supply trailer, and therefore has a distinct need to be easily identified as such - except that the MYCALL could easily, and better, fill that need by naming it so as to distinguish between several similar such trackable objects.

I agree that having an on-screen indication of the vehicle is nice, but so what?...

Just some discussion fodder...
--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)