[aprssig] repeater objects and digipeater advertisements.

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sat Jun 5 21:30:08 EDT 2010

I just had a DUH moment when I read the repeater object docs.  In the
mornings when the 2m band is open I hear another repeater in the distance.
But I programmed the local digi to send that repeater as an object with the
required PL tone 156.7.  But I'd rather use CTCSS 156.7 to shut out the
other repeater.  Well DUH.... instead of sending T156, I got the local digi
to send C156 and voila, silence in the mornings when I hit the TUNE button
on my D710.

I've been watching the raw packets on the air and have noticed a few
repeater "objects" in the area that are not formatted correctly for the
d710's to tune.  If you are mentioning a repeater in your comments, why not
format it as a correct object?

I've also noticed that there are a few stations that are sending ID
packets.  Please consider turning HID OFF.  I'm guilty too... I gotta turn
it off on my home d700.

On another note... in so far as programming the ID of the local digi.... In
an effort to curtail the propagation of "useless" digi advertisements, I've
programmed our local digi's as the following

BLT 1 E 00:20:00 START 00:00:00
BLT 2 E 00:20:00 START 00:10:00

LT 1 !3356.37NS08031.22W#PHG6460/ W2,SCn in Statesboro SC
LT 2 !3356.37NS08031.22W#PHG6460/ W2,SCn in Statesboro SC

LTP 1 APRS
LTP 2 APRS V WIDE2-1

It is my feeling that the network is robust enough that we don't need to
"advertise" our digis out three hops.  My goodness, 2 hops will cover most
of South Carolina.  I'm enjoying the nice gaps in packets on 144.39...
Shutting out the DX stations has dramatically improved our local ops.  What
got me thinking about this was when I was travelling to Dayton and saw
digipeaters 300 miles away that were of absolutely no use to me as a
traveler.

In Sumter we are not running Wn-n.  We _are_ running SCn-n.  For Wn-n
packets, we simply run UIDIGI WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2.  When my T2 digi gets
here, we'll run Wn-n but limited to 2 hops.  I don't want to forget the RF
side of things, but I also realize that by shutting out the W3-1's we have a
much more reliable local net.

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.