[aprssig] ic-2100h mic cable

DALE wa7ixk at embarqmail.com
Thu Jul 29 21:17:48 EDT 2010

Cat 5 cable does not have shielded mike wire. This is needed in many cases.
Cat 5 cable has 4 signal wired and 4 gnd wires. They are a twisted pair for common node noise rejection. For most microphones the gnd wires are not properly paired
to the proper signal wire. And each brand of radio uses a different wiring scheme.
The mike has a separate gnd wire, the ptt has a separate ground wire, each other circuit has a separate gnd wire. They are common at the radio, but floating on the other end.
If you do not want to have problems use the factory cable.
I use short lengths of cat 5 at times.
Dale