[aprssig] PHG

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 29 10:07:54 EDT 2010

> The PHG was 5 characters instead of the 4 that
> I have been use to seeing.  The last digit
> appears to be the number of beacons per hour.
>
> When was this done ?

Probably back in 2001 or so.  It's an optional field, but I am
not sure how well all the different applications handle it.  The
extra digit goes where the delimiter used to go.  SO the
question is whether all the applications then know where to find
the beginning of the TEXT that follows.

Might be worth testing on all the different applications.
Especially all the hard coded radios, D7, D700, D710, VX8R,
VX8DR, VX8G, and FTM350.  After they decode the PHG data, do
they begin the display of text with the extra digit, or after
the next delimiter.  They are supposed to ignore a beginning
space, but I'm not sure if they do that either..

Bob, WB4APR