[aprssig] APRS Messaging

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 29 07:54:14 EDT 2010

First, I need to know what software your IGate is running?  Is it
APRSIS32 perchance?  If it's any other software, I'll have to refer you
to the appropriate support group for that software.

Second, what APRS-IS server are you connecting to?  Is it one of the
core 3 or Tier 2 or some private one?

My experience of the javAPRSsrvr platform that runs the core servers is
that they will automatically include messages in the APRS-IS stream for
any station for which a packet was recently sent into the server.  In
other words, if you gate a packet from station A from RF to -IS, any
messages addressing station A from anyone, anywhere, will be included in
your feed, regardless of filter, for about the next 30 minutes.

The reverse effect of this statement is that if you haven't gated a
packet from station B from RF to -IS in the past 30 minutes, you'll only
see messages for station B if they are sourced by something otherwise
included in your filter.

The question of why messaging doesn't work in any particular coverage
area is a frequently recurring topic on the APRS mailing lists.  Right
now, it's very hit or miss and nigh on impossible to predict if it will
work or diagnose why it doesn't.

I applaud your desire to make your IGate work and will work at assisting
you to do so!